Monday, 29 January 2007

Wild rhinos in Stoke

Last night I dreamt... I was working for my father again, back in Stoke-on-Trent. We were planning to expand the store by building on some wasteland at the back of the lot, but it was fenced-off. I looked over the fence and all I could see were rolling, glowing green fields, with a group of families lounging in the sunshine by a stream. I squeezed through a gap in the fence and went to talk with them. It turned out that they lived in a nearby council block, and that all the land around was theirs to roam and play in.

But the land just behind the fence, running down to the stream, belonged to us and so we moved the fence, and the people had to go and play further afield. On the land there were now herds of wild rhinos and hippos, shimmering in brilliant hues of purple and green. One of the rhinos chased me for a while, but gave up and just stood there watching me with eyes like black marbles.

No comments: