Sunday, 11 February 2007

Rooftop Bathing

Last night I dreamt... That I was taking a bath, in a bath built on the rooftop of a house in the country. It was a beautiful, cloudless day, with sun beating down. Everything was bright and clean and fresh. The fields around had a lurid quality to their colour - the green was almost too bright - hot and hazy, like in the very depths of summer.

Next to the bath was a shower, also built on a high platform on the rooftop. A man who was an old family friend, now deceased, climbed up to take a shower but couldn't get it running hot enough. My mother shouted up from downstairs that the setting was wrong, that 'eight is twelve'. I looked down and noticed that the bath had been placed on an angle to the platform it was on. Bright chrome railings surrounded it - I felt safe.

I think the house belonged to another set of old family friends who we don't see often these days; but I'm not sure.

No comments: